[ase-users] [ase-developers] ASE calculator interface proposal

Max Hoffmann mjhoffmann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:20:04 CET 2013

Dear All,

I have a question regarding [1], where is says "The read_atoms()
method is equivalent to:"
Can you clarify, where this 'read_atoms' is precisely located? More
specifically, what is 'ABC'  in :

>>> atoms = ABC.read_atoms('si.abc')

Because: Following the text above 'ABC' would be the uninstantiated
calculator class.
Though I think such a constructor is uncommon in python. As a python user
I would expect to either have a read_atoms function as  in
ase.io.ABC.read_atoms('...') or
alternatively use the constructor like
ase.calculators.abc.ABC(read_atoms='si.abc').

Best,
Max.

[1] https://wiki.fysik.dtu.dk/ase/development/proposals/calculators.html