[gpaw-users] Dipole correction with implicit solvent

Ask Hjorth Larsen asklarsen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:36:59 CET 2017

Hi

> Hi Ask,
>
> thank you for the fast reply, where you confirm my understanding of the
> routine.
>
> I suppose the subtraction and solvation of the poisson equation(accounting
> for the FDPoissonsolver boundary conditions), and addition (giving two
> distinct vacuum levels) are performed via these two lines:
>
> iters = self.poissonsolver.solve(vHt_g, rhot_g + drhot_g, **kwargs)
> vHt_g += dvHt_g
>
> However, I do currently not understand why dvHt_g  is subtracted from the
> electrostatic potential beforehand. Is it done in order to create a good
> starting guess for the poisson solver? What puzzles me is that, although

Exactly!  I remember adding that line because the Poisson solver was
using a lot of iterations.  The thing is, the initial guess for the
*internal solver* should be a dipole-free charge distribution.
Normally the Poisson solver is happy with the vHt_g from last SCF
step, but in this case the vHt_g already contains a dipole and is
therefore a very bad guess for the dipole-free calculation of the
internal solver.

> dvHt_g is constant at the outer parts of the unit cell the resulting
> potential is sometimes not flat near the boundary, when I scale it and keep
> the correcting charge density drhot_g untouched.

Sorry, I don't quite understand.  Could you explain in more detail please?

Best regards
Ask