[ase-users] Python Trademark At Risk In Europe

Max Alberto Ramirez Gonzalez m.ramirez at mx.uni-saarland.de
Mon Feb 18 18:24:25 CET 2013

Dear colleagues:

I have read today this announcement in Slashdot, and I think we can
help:  "A company in the UK is trying to trademark the 'Python' term for
all things computing. The Python Software Foundation is asking for help.
According to the PSF, they contacted the company in order to settle the
matter but 'They blew us off and responded by filing the community
trademark application claiming the exclusive right to use "Python" for
software, servers, and web services --- everywhere in Europe.' They now
seek help from the community in several ways: By sending a letter to the
EU council if you happen to work on a company that uses the Python
programming language, by providing EU-published material regarding the
Python language (articles etc) and/or financially supporting the PSF in
the upcoming legal battle."

More information here:
http://pyfound.blogspot.gr/2013/02/python-trademark-at-risk-in-europe-we.html

--